We understand that the search for appropriate aged care for yourself or a loved one can be stressful, confusing and difficult. And it can be made so much harder in the rush to secure an available space.

That is why we have put together this simple aged care application guide aimed at taking some of the stress away from the decision.

You need to be assessed to establish the level of aged care support you need. This assessment is free you just need to see your GP or call 1800 200 422 to find your nearest Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

The team will visit you and ask some questions to work out your best possible care options.

Of course. And you can also give permission for your doctor to share your medical history with the ACAT team.

While it often recommends low- or high-level care, sometimes the best option is a community care package to allow you to continue living at home with assistance.

Once you receive your assessment, it’s time to research aged care options.

At Fairlea we provide both low- and high-level care, as well as dementia care.

  • Rosehill facilities are specifically designed for high-level aged care residents.
  • Penshurst caters to both levels of care requirements, with Grace Wing dedicated to high-level care and Faith Wing to low-level care.
  • Harris Park has dementia- specific suits as well as provides low-level care.

Applying for the Age Pension


Retirement Essentials

Is an independent online portal that offers an Age Pension application service that is simple to use and is supported by specialists who are available to help you every step of the way.

This depend on an assets and income test. If you are above the maximum threshold for a full pensioner, you may need to pay a Means-Tested Care Contribution.

Please submit an application for means testing to the Department of Human Services. For more details please contact or 1800 200 422.

Optional services: At times, extra fees may apply for requested or optional services. These will appear in a separate detailed item on your statement.

There are various payment options available:

RAD (Refundable Accommodation Deposit):
This is an upfront payment when you enter the nursing home, with some payments being made over the next six months. Think of it like an interest free loan to your aged care provider. The balance of the deposit, minus any agreed fees, will be refunded when you leave aged care. Fairlea is able to offer this payment option as we have been assessed as providing a high standard of care.

DAP (Daily Accommodation Payment):
This is for those who choose not to pay a lump sum. Instead you pay in installments, monthly in advance. The amount is based on your calculated daily rate and is non-refundable if you leave aged care.

Combination of RAD & DAP:
This allows you to pay a partial lump sum with refundable deposit, and daily payments for the outstanding amount.
Find out more about fee options at or by calling 1800 200 422.

Fairlea accepts direct debit payments only. The Welcome Pack includes a form to fill out.

What happens if I transfer from another aged care facility?

If you are already in a low-care home and have paid an accommodation bond, please feel free to ask us how to transfer your bond over. Kindly provide us with information of your current care provider.

We welcome all enquiries, please contact us today if you would like to discuss any aspect of this process.

© 2016 Garrison Ash Consulting All Rights Reserved. Designed by 24K